Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Farewell

     About three years ago, I sat at my computer determined to start some kind of blog. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to start writing something about how I saw Christian ideas and themes in movies. I had just seen “Inception” again and realized how much about taking a step of faith it really was, and I thought, “Why don’t I look for this more often?” So I did. And “Reel Christianity” was born, the title inspired by a term I heard from Robert K. Johnston’s book “Reel Spirituality”.

     Next week, 2014 begins, and one of the first things I will be doing in the spring semester, my last as a university student, is going to the Sundance Film Festival for a week participating in a forum for Christian university students, and my “textbook” for the course is Johnston’s book. Everything just comes full circle. It’s pretty crazy. And even though I only have like 10 (not even) official followers of this blog, none of whom I’m sure checks this site regularly, I still have dozens and dozens of articles on movies I love, some I don’t love so much but still found Christian themes in, and some which I’ve only seen once ever and had some thoughts about at the time.

     “Reel Christianity” has come to mean a lot to the way that I think and write about movies, and for those of you who have read it, I am so, so thankful that you have kept up with it and found interest in what I have to say, considering that I have basically no credentials to be talking about films this way. But I hope that in the future, I will continue to do so, because I really do love it. And I hope that by exploring my faith portrayed in secular film, I can encourage others around me, even non-believers in Christ, to re-consider their views of the world and of God.

     Because my time as a student is soon coming to a close, and I have a feeling I won’t be able to keep up with this for much longer, I have decided to stop writing (at least regularly) on “Reel Christianity” at the end of 2013. However, instead of checking this site for more of my thoughts on film, I’d like to take the opportunity to point you to another site:


     This website, acting as my online portfolio, not only contains some of my work in film and music at my university, but it also contains a lot of film analyses that I’ve gotten to write for classes. Attached to this website is a link to “Reel Christianity”, which will indeed continue to exist even though I will not be regularly writing in it. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll be able to update this whole site into something beyond just a plain ol’ blog.

     But until I get the opportunity to write more here, I would like to close “Reel Christianity” with a blessing that I have heard recited in church many a time, but I really do mean it for all of you readers, whether you be my friends, family, or total strangers:

     The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26)


     God bless you, readers. Have a merry Christmas, and keep looking for God in the movies. He’s there if you look for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment